Top WordPress Security Plugins
WordPress itself is a very secure platform. However, it helps to add some extra security and a firewall to your site. Using a security plugin, this is done easily, and it enforces many word-class security features and practices.
Why You Should Consider A WordPress Security Plugin
Positives for using a security plugin:
- Coded by WordPress security professionals.
- You can focus on the content of your website and let the plugin manage the security.
- It reduces the security risk by checking your website for vulnerabilities and implementing and enforcing the latest WordPress security practices and techniques.
Negatives of not using a security plugin:
- Online criminals can steal the data belonging to you and your customers.
- You could be exposing private business and customer data.
- Accidental deletion of your website.
- You could accidentally expose your visitors to malicious malware.
- You could hurt your brand and SEO rankings.
By default, WordPress core has some useful security measures, but nothing compares with what a reputable security plugin does for you.
- Active security monitoring
- File scanning
- Malware scanning
- Blacklist monitoring
- Security hardening
- Post-hack actions
- Brute force attack protection
- Notifications for when a security threat is detected
- They’ll clean up your WordPress site at no additional cost if it gets malware.
- Firewall protection helps you block brute force and malicious attackers from accessing your WordPress site.
- Malware scanning.
- Effective security hardening
- Keeps track of everything that happens on your site, including file changes, last logins, and failed login attempts
- Can reduce server load time and improve your site’s performance by blocking malicious traffic
- Sucuri can serve static content from their CDN servers.
- Protects your website against SQL Injections, XSS, and known attacks
The iThemes Security plugin (previously known as Better WP Security) is one of the more unique ways to protect your website. It has over 30 offerings to prevent things like hacks and unwanted intruders. It has a strong focus on recognizing plugin vulnerabilities, obsolete software, and weak passwords.
- The security plugin offers file change detection, which is vital since most webmasters don’t notice when a file is modified.
- Add an extra layer of protection to your login by using the Google reCAPTCHA integration.
- The plugin compares your WordPress core files with the current WordPress version core files and looks for injections.
- Update your WordPress with an extra layer of complexity to your authentication keys.
- You can set an “Away Mode” when you’re not making constant updates to your site and want to lock your WordPress dashboard from all users completely.
- This plugin offers a 404 error detection, brute force protection, and vigorous password enforcement.
It is one of the most popular WordPress security plugins, and for a good reason. This gem pairs simplicity with powerful protection tools, such as the robust login security features and the security incident recovery tools. One of the main advantages of Wordfence is the fact that you can gain insight into overall traffic trends and hack attempts.
It delivers one feature, but it’s a rather important one: protection from brute force attacks. The plugin takes a different approach, which many see as more effective than what you get from some of the security suite plugins listed above. WP fail2ban documents all login attempts, regardless of their nature or success, to the syslog using LOG_AUTH. You have the option to implement a soft or hard ban, which is different from the more traditional approach of only choosing one.
As one of the most feature-packed free security plugins, All In One WP Security & Firewall provides an easy interface and decent customer support without any premium plans. All In One WP Security & Firewall is a visual security plugin that is ideal for beginners because it uses graphs and meters to explain security metrics and what needs fixing to make a more secure website.
If you need assistance in selecting or setting up a security plugin for your WordPress website, please call RapidPage today.
Written by RapidPage