Website Analytics, if it is available to you and if you know how to use it, can be an incredibly powerful web marketing tool. It helps you to understand the demographics of your customer, it helps you target products, it helps you target advertising, etc.
In the previous blog we wrote about how you track visitors to your site. To understand HOW visitors got to your site you must first TRACK VISITORS to your site. Whatever website analytic tools that you are using, such as Google Analytics or Jetpack Analytics for WordPress, for tracking visitors then you can use those tools to get reports on website traffic (click here to see an example of the Google Analytics Traffic Sources report).
These reports will tell you information such as:
- Referrals (the page a customer was on before they went to your site)
- How long they viewed a page
- Number of unique visitors
- Number of times a page was viewed
- Type of browser used
- Country of origin of the visitor