A brand gives a company a recognizable face, it defines your company mission, it states quality expectations and it creates a community.
a. A trademark or distinctive name identifying a product, service, or organization.
b. A product or service so identified: bought a popular brand of soap.
c. An association of positive qualities with a widely recognized name, as of a product line or celebrity: The company tried to improve its brand by donating money to charity.
d. A distinctive category; a particular kind: a brand of comedy that I do not care for.
Why is a brand so important?
In my opinion when we think brand we think Apple, IBM, Microsoft, McDonald's and for good reason, they are all in the top ten of Brand Recognition. Having top recognition means less work for your advertising team, but more work for your marketing team keeping your brand value high. Brand recognition means that your not having to fight for sales by using price as your message. And if you're in a close fight for a sale, your brand can win the day, it's really hard for your competition to fight when your brand is so recognisable that your competition can only compete on price.
How to Build your Brand?
- Get professional help along the way.
- Know your strengths and fix your weaknesses.
- Know your competition
- How do your products and services positively impact your users?
- What is your niche?
- Get rid of conflicting products/services.
- Price is not a brand, it's a technique!
- Being technical is not a brand, how your brand technology positively impacts your clients is your brand strength!
- Being smart is not branding, how your intelligence is applied is another brand strength.
- Being in business for 50 years is not branding, it is the strength of your brand.
- Word of mouth marketing is not a technique, it is expecting clients to be your spokesperson and that is too risky, build your brand, and project your voice!
This topic is far too large and complex so I have added some resources below.