Purpose of Brand Positioning
I personally ascribe to the notion that a brand must have a purpose, a focus, a reason and a goal.
Brand Positioning Definition:
“The brand`s positioning is the place in the consumers mind that you want your brand to own. It is the benefit you want your consumer to perceive when they think of your brand. • A strong brand position means that the brand has a unique, credible and sustainable position in the mind of the consumer.”
Brand Positioning Taglines:
The following great taglines speak volumes about their brand:
Apple: “Think Different”
McDonald’s: “I’m Lovin’ It”
Nike: “Just Do It”
State Farm: “Like a Good Neighbor, State Farm is There”
Taglines can propel a company in a positive direction. Taglines put the competition on notice that they “own” a particular market segment. A tagline can set the corporate culture and a tagline can create fierce loyalty from consumers to a brand.
I only mentioned taglines because they demonstrate “brand positioning”.
Looking at the above taglines now think how you would define your corporation, its products and services.
- Are your services to broad to define a unique market position?
- What are the benefits that your services provide?
- How are your products better than your competitions?
- What is your “claim” to a market segment?
- What are your unique abilities?
- On what do your clients compliment you?
- What “feeling” do you wish your brand would invoke?
Now you will need to some spend some to determine profits, margins and costs. Take time to see what price points are expected in a certain market, how you can add value to increase your price point and how you can position your brand as a leader in a niche market.
- Brand positioning with examples
- Definition and concept
- Wikipedia on Brand Positioning
- Standards and Practices
Written by RapidPage